Riverdale is an American teen drama television series that premiered on The CW on January 26, 2017.
The series has two spin-off series, Chilling Adventures of Sabrina, which premiered on Netflix in October 2018; and Katy Keene, which aired on The CW from February to May 2020.
Summary[edit | edit source]
The show features an ensemble cast based on the characters of Archie Comics, with KJ Apa in the role of Archie Andrews, Lili Reinhart as Betty Cooper, his next door neighbor who has a crush on him, Camila Mendes as Veronica Lodge, his new love interest and Cole Sprouse as Jughead Jones, his ex-best friend and the narrator of the show. The show also features Ashleigh Murray as Josie McCoy, the lead singer of the Pussycats, and Madelaine Petsch as Cheryl Blossom, the twin sister of Jason Blossom, who is at the center of the series' mystery. Other characters in the show include Fred Andrews, Alice Cooper and Hermione Lodge, the parents of Archie, Betty, and Veronica respectively.
The series follows Archie Andrews' life in the small town of Riverdale while exploring the darkness hidden behind its seemingly perfect image.
Cast[edit | edit source]
Main[edit | edit source]
- ￼KJ Apa as Archie Andrews (seasons 1-present)
- Lili Reinhart as Betty Cooper (seasons 1-present)
- Camila Mendes as Veronica Lodge (seasons 1-present)
- Cole Sprouse as Jughead Jones (seasons 1-present)
- Marisol Nichols as Hermione Lodge (seasons 1-present)
- Madelaine Petsch as Cheryl Blossom (seasons 1-present)
- ￼￼Ashley Murray as Josie McCoy (seasons 1-3, special guest season 4)
- Mädchen Amrick as Alice Cooper (seasons 1-present)
- Luke Perry as Fred Andrews (seasons 1-3)
- Casey Cott as Kevin Keller (sessons 2-present, recurring season 1)
- Skeet Ulrich as FP Jones (seasons 2-5,recurring season 1)
- ￼Mark Consuelos as Hiram Lodge (seasons 2-present)
- Charles Melton as Reggie Mantle (seasons 3-present, recurring season 2)
- Vanessa Morgan as Toni Topaz (seasons 3-present, recurring season 2)
- ￼Drew Ray Tunner as Fangs Fogarty (season 5, recurring seasons 2-4)
- Erinn Westbrook as Tabitha Tate (season 5)
Series overview[edit | edit source]
|Season||No. of episodes||Originally aired||Time slot||Average ratings|
|First aired||Last aired||Rating
|1||13||January 26, 2017||May 11, 2017||Thursdays 9/8c||0.4||1.04|
|2||22||October 11, 2017||May 16, 2018||Wednesdays 8/7c||0.5||1.37|
|3||22||October 10, 2018||May 15, 2019||0.4||1.05|
|4||19||October 9, 2019||May 6, 2020||0.2||0.73|
|5||19||January 20, 2021||TBA||TBD|
Production[edit | edit source]
Development[edit | edit source]
Warner Bros. began development on an Archie feature film in 2013, after a pitch from writer Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa and director Jason Moore that would place Archie's gang into a teen comedy feature film in the John Hughes tradition. Dan Lin and Roy Lee became producers on the project, which eventually stalled as priorities shifted at Warner Bros. towards larger tentpole films and was reimagined as a television series. Riverdale was originally in development at Fox, with the network landing the project in 2014 with a script deal plus penalty. However, Fox did not go forward with the project. In 2015, the show's development was moved to The CW, which officially ordered a pilot on January 29, 2016. On March 7, 2017, The CW announced that the series had been renewed for a second season.
Reception[edit | edit source]
Critical Reception[edit | edit source]
The first season of Riverdale has received generally positive reviews from critics. On Rotten Tomatoes, it has a fresh rating of 89% based on 51 reviews, with a weighted average of 7.3/10. The site's critical consensus reads, "Riverdale offers an amusingly self-aware reimagining of its classic source material that proves eerie, odd, daring, and above all addictive." On Metacritic, the season has a normalized score of 67 out of 100 based on 35 critics, indicating "generally favorable reviews". Dave Nemetz of TVLine gave the series a "B+" saying that it turned, "out to be an artfully crafted, instantly engaging teen soap with loads of potential."
Some writers have criticized the series for its handling of minority characters. While reviewing the first season, Kadeen Griffiths of Bustle declared "the show marginalizes and ignores the [people of color] in the cast to the point where they may as well not be there." In an article for Vulture, Angelica Jade Bastien discussed the show's treatment of Josie and the Pussycats (who are each played by African Americans), noting, "They're not characters so much as they are a vehicle for a Message. Josie and her fellow pussycats are positioned to communicate the message that Riverdale is more modern and inclusive than teen dramas of the past, even though it has yet to prove it beyond its casting." Monique Jones of Ebony noted, "Despite the show's multi-racial casting choices, it seems like Riverdale is still a mostly white town." She also expressed fondness for the relationship between Archie Andrews and Valerie Brown, but declared "Archie shouldn't be what makes Valerie interesting to us".
Gallery[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- "The CW Renews 13 Series Including ‘Batwoman’, ‘Nancy Drew’, ‘The Flash’, ‘Riverdale’ & ‘All American’" - Deadline
- "The CW Sets Season Premiere Dates For ‘Flash’, ‘Batwoman’, ‘Riverdale’, ‘Nancy Drew’, ‘Charmed’, ‘Walker’ Reboot & More" - Deadline
- Season 1 (2017) - Ratings - List of Riverdale episodes
- Season 2 (2017-18) - Ratings - List of Riverdale episodes
- Season 3 (2018-19) - Ratings - List of Riverdale episodes
- Season 4 (2020-21) - Ratings - List of Riverdale episodes
- "Various Episode Count Numbers for WB Shows 2020-2021" - SpoilerTV